Nowhere is the phrase, ‘let food be the medicine’ more pertinent than in rehabilitation and recovery. Specially trained in how food affects the body, dietitians translate nutrition science into practical advice to achieve desired outcomes – whether that’s facilitating optimal recovery from injury or illness, managing symptoms of conditions such as arthritis, heart disease or cancer, promoting healthy weight loss for heart health or to relieve joint and muscle pain, re-building muscle mass lost due to age, injury or illness, or simply optimising physical and mental wellbeing.
As well as thoroughly assessing clients’ health history and current status, lifestyle, food preparation capabilities and preferences, an accredited practising dietitian (APD) educates clients about foods to consume and avoid as well as combinations that benefit clients’ goals. In addition to transposing their recommendations into a practical, personalised meal plan, a Soaring Health dietitian may provide motivational counselling to help clients to implement and maintain healthy changes. In some cases, dietitians recommend dietary supplements to ensure that the body obtains the nutrients it needs to function at its best.
Who can benefit from seeing a dietitian?
- Those recovering from injury and seeking to rebuild strength and restore nutrient balance
- Those with limited food repertoire (e.g. due to cooking limitations or eating difficulties), who may suffer nutrient deficiencies
- Seniors who have lost interest in preparing healthy meals
- Seniors who have lost muscle mass and strength due to age or illness
- Those whose excess weight worsens or prolongs muscle or joint injuries or conditions
- Those seeking to gain weight or restore appetite lost through age or illness
- Children with minor eating difficulties
- People with food intolerances and allergies
- Those diagnosed with nutrient deficiencies and related conditions such as anaemia
- People seeking to optimise immunity and physical and mental wellbeing
Soaring Health dietitians oer the following services
- Appraisal of current nutrition intake
- Provision of personalised dietary advice and guidance and food recommendations to achieve health goals
- Nutrition education and guidance in food choices and combinations
Issues that may be treated or managed with dietetics
- Facilitating optimal recovery from injury or illness (including healthy weight gain if applicable)
- Supporting rehabilitation and recovery programs by optimising physical strength and vitality
- Rebuilding strength and muscle mass after injury or intensive treatment (e.g. chemotherapy)
- Managing symptoms of heart disease
- Managing certain symptoms of cancer and effects of cancer treatment
- Healthy weight loss for heart health and to relieve joint and muscle pain
- Managing symptoms of conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Nutrient deficiencies from a limited or unbalanced diet
- Food intolerances and allergies
- Coeliac disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and low FODMAP for symptom management
- Basic paediatric nutrition issues (e.g. child won’t eat vegetables)
- Sports Nutrition
- General healthy eating
- Weight loss/Weight gain
- Food Allergies and Intolerances
- Heart disease
- Diabetes management (Type 1 & 2)
- Gastrointestinal conditions (e.g. Coeliac Disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome & Low FODMAP)
- Vegetarian and Vegan Diets
- Cancer and related symptoms
- Vitamin and Mineral deficiencies
- Basic Paediatric nutrition advice (Healthy eating)
Dietetics Clinical Consultations
We have designed our clinics to ensure that the Soaring Health experience is seamless, welcoming and therapeutic for clients with varying needs and abilities. Facilities such as ramps, wide corridors, hand rails, large change rooms and selected furniture enable seamless access to our state-of-the-art therapy rooms, which are equipped with all the resources required to provide you with a goal-driven, therapeutic consultation.
In Home Dietetics
Soaring Health’s in-home services enable you to access the treatment and care you require in the comfort of your own home. In-home services also enable our dietitians to see your home environment and provide you with practical advice, recommendations and personalised do-it-yourself therapy to optimise your level of functioning. To find out whether home services are available in your area, please call our friendly team on (03) 9013-5987.
Your Soaring Health practitioners are experienced in providing community consultations at community centres, respite centres, schools, aged care facilities and kindergartens. Soaring Health practitioners have the required training and authorisations to provide medical therapeutic services at these centres. Seeing our clients in these settings allows us to work on community participation goals, behavioural support plans and social interactions in dierent dynamic and real-life environments. Please speak to your Soaring Health practitioner about community consultations.
Soaring Health provided telehealth consultations well before the COVID pandemic. We have refined remote consultations to deliver seamless, secure, easy-to-join telehealth appointments while providing the same level of treatment service you’d receive with an in-person consultation. Connecting with your Soaring Health practitioner really is as simple as clicking a button, no matter where you are. As well as bypassing travel and mobility limitations, telehealth is recommended for clients with a compromised immune system. We strive to make your treatment experience as safe and convenient as possible.